Every once in awhile I get a personal email by some reporter or “film maker” that wants me to go in front of their cameras for a soundbite. Or a punchline as the case may be. Neh pollos, not interested. I don’t want your camera to steal what’s left of my soul. Besides, I’ve got less important things to do.
And then sometimes we get requests sent to LA Eastside regarding questions, comments, or to participate in this or that. You wouldn’t believe how many requests of these sorts this lil’ site gets, to cover some event, to mention some product. I usually send it to the intended authorÂ or forward it to our internal email list, see if anyone is interested in helping out. But this video up above is the reason I tend to NOT want to help reporters in their search for content.
Check out this documentary by Kyle Wegner, a short video clip that aims to deal with the false “debate” regarding the location of the Eastside. Its not very enlightening but I don’t think I’m the intended consumer for this sort of stuff. Nevermind the content, here’s why this video sucks:
1. LA Eastside didn’t “refuse” to participate. There’s a difference between refusal and a lack of interest. Nor did it help that you gave us about a week notice for your “tight shooting schedule”. Come on now, some of us have to work. Besides, ever since youtube the opportunity to be in front of a video camera is just not that tempting. BTW, did Patt Morrison also refuse to participate?
2. The email they attribute to LA Eastside is from me, EL CHAVO!, and nobody else. If you take a look over there on your right you’ll see a list of our contributors to this group blog.
3. Uhh, yeah, thanks for using my initial personal email to you as the group position for this site. Without asking. Why am I not surprised? For the record, here’s the rest of it in context.
On 9/26/09, EL CHAVO! wrote:
> > I think I might be able to get one or two of our authors to contribute, but > I have to admit I'm very wary of your intentions. I'm not sure who you are > or what your aim is. Would you care to send us a bit more info? > The only person that thinks the definition of the Eastside is a "touchy and > heated topic" is Jesus Sanchez, and that's because he knows he is wrong. But > he doesn't care. The term has had a meaning for way longer than when all the > newbies started to move into areas closer to downtown, escaping their > parents suburbs I assume. But just because they try to rename an area to fit > the perspective of their geographical base, doesn't mean the term is up for > grabs. > > If you send me some honest info about your intentions, then I will make an > honest attempt at getting some of our authors to participate. > > Saludos, EL CHAVO!
4. Do some fucking legwork. We aren’t the only people upset at this casual dismissal of our place on the map, just the most easily google-able. You could have at the very least searched through our published posts for some proper quotes to use.
5. You use at least 3 of our photos, my email, and the video that I shot of Dewey, and you still can’t even put a link to our site? That’s messed up.
This is why I don’t talk to “reporters”.