Ajua! Someone has correctly answered all of the questions on the
ARE YOU SMARTER THAN AN EASTSIDER? Quiz!
One very Eastside Culture savvy contestant has demonstrated a profound
knowledge of all things Eastside, and has proven to be truly deserving of the Grand Prize! A certificate good for Dinner for Two from:
EL CONQUISTADOR RESTAURANT in Silver Lake!
(I wanted the prize to be a trip far away from THE EASTSIDE so I picked the very self-proclaimed hip Westside town of Silver Lake!) Que Gácho! Anyway, here are the answers to the quiz:
(1) Identify this East Los Personality
Some WRONG answers that were submitted:
• Ed Roybal
• El Matador Carabello
• El Chavo
The Correct Answer is: DICK HUGG (HUGGY BOY)
(1) What Eastside Park did Charlie Chaplin use for his film “His Trysting Place”?
The Correct Answer is: HOLLENBECK PARK
(2) Name 5 Eastside Car Clubs (past or present) Some answers given: LIFESTYLE, IMPERIALS, BROWN STYLE, KLIQUE, MANIACOS, Good Times, Viejitos, The Dukes, Chicano Style Car Club, The Lady Bugs, Old Memories, Saints (El Sereno 50’s), ELA Auto Butchers. Phantoms (Lincoln Hts 1950’s)
(3) Name 3 Movies that have to do with East L.A. and Cholos
Some answers given: American Me, Bound by Honor, Boulevard Nights, Crash, Up in Smoke, Blood in Blood out, Zoot Suit, Boulevard Nights,
Mi Vida Loca? (OH NO YOU DIDN’T!!! I SAID EAST L.A.! -Al) Mi Familia, Colors, Born In East L.A.
(4) Decipher This: Answer: Bird from Florencia 13 (aka F 13, Florence 13), #1, So Los aka South Central LA
(5) What Street is this photo taken on? Correct Answer: BROOKLYN AVENUE
(6) This nice Jewish boy from Brooklyn, N.Y. came to Boyle Heights with his family around 1916 where his family opened a grocery & drug store on Brooklyn Avenue. He soon moved on to bigger & better things. He was investigated by the U.S. Senate in 1950. Correct Answer: MICKEY COHEN
(7) Name That Pan Dulce: (Sorry, the answer: “All I know is Cuernos and Conchas”..is not correct) THE CORRECT ANSWER IS: Concha, Cuernito, Rol de Canela, Rol de Fresa, Cochinito, birote or bolillo. (Nobody named the Jelly Roll as: Niño Envuelto!)
(9) What Eastside Youth Recreational Center are these men dedicating? Correct Answer: Lou Costello Recreational Center on Olympic & Grande Vista near the Estrada Courts PJs. (That’s Abbott & Costello!)
(10) Name That Tune! Correct Answer: LA RASPA BY PEREZ PRADO
Bonus Question: Answer: LOS XOCHIMILCAS! Performing LA BANDA BORRACHA and QUE SE MUERAN LOS FEOS. (Wrong Answers: Los Polivoces or Cannibal & The Headhunters-Sorry!)
And the Big Winner is……………………………..
DON QUIXOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who answered all 10 Questions correctly! A true Master of Eastside Trivia! Mr. Quixote , please accept your prize and submit a comment here to tell us how you became such a great scholar of Eastsideology!